Monday, July 23, 2012

A Mix of Routine and Spontaneity

Lately, I've been feeling like my days are getting away from me and I'm not accomplishing the things that I want or need to do.  So, although I am still getting things done, it doesn't seem like it and it doesn't feel very rewarding.  I need to get back to schedules and "to do" lists, but I don't want to get tied down to a predictable and humdrum existence.  So, how can I find a balance, where I have enough routine to be productive, but not so much that my life loses all signs of spontaneity?

As I am in the process of making my own set of Runes on wooden staves, I decided that, this week, I would try a different approach to my draw.  In fact, I did a toss or a roll, instead of pulling them out of the bag.  With the staves, I can't draw them out of a bag, if for no other reason than they will be different sizes, so I might be inclined to avoid the skinny Isa, for example, and choose fat Dagaz.  Instead, I will give them all a toss and choose the three that are closest to the center of the pile and face up.  Using my current Runes for this week's question and following that course, I got Othala, Thurisaz, and Jera.

I must admit, Othala as the overview gave me pause.  I thought for a while about how this Rune represents the current situation and I realized that the Rune of inheritance and home represents something more basal than inheritance and home.  It signifies the foundation of tradition.  While our goal is to enjoy our home life, which is another attribute of this Rune, to do that, we must look to the past to see how enjoying the home was achieved before.  For me, this is very telling, because I find I am most effective when I have a somewhat set schedule and, more recently, a "to do" list.  The latter is especially handy these days, when my life isn't my own, rather I am coordinating my family of four.  What Othala says to me is, "Look back to when your life and home were in order.  Why was it so?"

Thurisaz, the Rune of giants and thorns, as the challenge is perfect.  I like this Rune, because it is about focusing power.  If we are honest with ourselves, that is the challenge we face through this question.  We all have the power to be productive; after all, everything is pure potential when it begins.  Therefore, we have the potential within us to focus our power or efforts on creating a more productive and satisfying daily life.  We can choose to create obstacles, tear them down or go around them.

It is no surprise then that Jera is our required action.  You all know this is my favorite Rune, the Rune of the harvest.  However, what we must recognize is that in order for the harvest to occur and be bountiful, we must follow a process.  If we think of the things we have to do in our lives as being different crops, we begin to see that each plant has its own requirements.  Some plants need more sun, while others need more water.  Some grow in soil that stunts other plants.  It is this detail of the process that we must address.  How much time does each aspect of our lives require?  Which things are necessary for survival and which are merely wants?  Don't get me wrong,  I'm not saying we should ignore wants or give no time to them.  What I am suggesting is that we make this distinction to help us prioritize.  Where our needs create our routine, our wants give way to spontaneity.

No comments:

Post a Comment