Monday, March 25, 2013

Runes 202 - Bind Runes 1

Bind Runes are something I've been interested in for a while now and, over the past two weeks, I've had a number of people ask me about them.  To that end, I decided to make my first conscious effort in creating one.  I say conscious, because in February 2012, I was writing about Making Alterations and I drew two Runes together that reminded me of a symbol I drew almost manically on my pee-chees (notebooks) in high school.  That was my first bind Rune, but it was completely unconscious and I didn't recognize the symbol as being Runes until fairly recently.

For my first bind Rune, I wanted to accomplish two things.  I wanted it to be very meaningful to me and I wanted it to follow up on my first Rune ritual, which I did earlier this year.  To that end, there were three components I wanted to include in my bind Rune - financial success, my writing and speaking endeavors, and Jera, which is my guiding Rune, so much so that I named my company after it.

These are all simple traits to represent with Runes - Fehu for financial success, Ansuz for communication, and Jera, the Harvest Rune, for Jera.  The challenging part was going to be Jera, because of its unique shape.  I decided to begin with the first two Runes, since I saw very easily how they could fit together.

As I drew Fehu, I repeated the chant from my Rune ritual, "Water is my element; Fehu is my goal."  When I added Ansuz, I said, "May Odin and Heimdall give my words, both written and spoken, an engaging tone.  I ask Freyja to help me write easily and well."

Once those two Runes were drawn together, I could see how perfectly Jera would fit in.  In the image to the left, you can see Jera in purple and where its one missing part needed to be drawn into the bind.  This was a pleasant surprise.

I traced over the sections that were already there, then added the final part.  As I drew, I repeated, "Jera is my Rune, my guiding Rune, and I believe in the process to a bountiful harvest."

I have the drawing I made, but I couldn't get a clear picture of it, so I drew it on my computer to make it easier to see and share.  While the drawn bind Rune will hang on my wall, I will share the computerized rendition with you.  What do you think?


I love my bind Rune and what it represents for me, the idea of being successful in my writing and speaking career, because I remain true to and respect the process this experience requires.

Have you ever made a bind Rune?  I'd love to hear your experience.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, making a bind rune of yr name (magical/chosen/etc) is most powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like Othala snuck in there too!

    ReplyDelete