Monday, January 23, 2012

Oh, the Possibilities

When Ehwaz is the overview in a questions about how to deal with possibilities, you have to smile.  Three weeks into 2012, I am feeling very fortunate to have so many opportunities coming to me.  To be fair, most of these these opportunities are the result of a lot of leg work, but others are simply word-of-mouth or being in the right place at the right time.  Still, I don't want to get ahead of myself with these possibilities, so I asked the Runes what should be made of them.

What makes Ehwaz such a good overview for this situation?  Ehwaz is the Rune of the Horse, sacred to many Germanic tribes.  It represents a pilgrimage of sorts through the lens of a horse-rider relationship.  This is a partnership.  Moreover, as any rider will tell you, there is a special bond between horse and rider, especially when you find the right match.  Contemporary interpretations suggest progression and transitions when this Rune is drawn.  Coupled with the comfort of undertaking a journey on horseback, rather than on foot, this moment becomes one where you can feel a slight sense of comfort or confidence in moving toward the future.  Just make sure it doesn't turn to overconfidence.

Perhaps that last bit about confidence is why our challenge with the possibilities that lie just in front of us is Nauthiz, the Rune of Need and Necessity.  While we must not create obstacles for ourselves, our own hubris can become the greatest obstacle we face in accomplishing goals or turning possibilities into realities.  Even though we may move forward with confidence, we must still move forward with discipline.  No matter how badly we need (or want) something, we must remain focused and calm if we expect to bring it successfully to bear.

Gebo, the Rune of the Gift is the required action to address this challenge.  This draw gave me pause for a moment, but I realized that what the Runes are saying to me is that we must offer our ideas (the things we see as possibilities) without expectation, for that is the truest gift.  By offering it in this manner, the gift (possibility) will attract its own benefits.

This week, I have at least three major undertakings in the works, two that are just beginning and one that I hope to expand/extend.  I must be confident in the gifts I give (possibilities I put out there), but put them out there without the expectation of anything more than taking them from theory to practice.  What possibility will you move forward this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment